Advancement Via Individual Determination
What is AVID?
AVID is an academic program that focuses in writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method, collaborative teamwork and reading. AVID students are enrolled in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum as well as an elective AVID class that provides: academic instructional, tutorial support, and motivational activities.
The mission of AVID is to ensure that all students, especially students in the academic middle with academic potential:
- will succeed in the most rigorous curriculum
- will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
- will participate in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities
Students who have both potential and desire to attend a 4-year college or university and...
- display appropriate classroom behavior
- have between a 2.5 and 3.5 GPA
- have a good attendance record
- demonstrate good work habits
- would like to take advanced courses
- receive tutoring to support learning goals
AVID Activities include:
- Participating in teambuilding activities
- Exploring college options
- Gaining awareness of professional careers
- Learning with college tutors
- Writing and note-taking for all classes
- Developing success strategies
- Visiting college campuses
- Interacting with guest speakers
- Participating in extracurricular and community activities