Nurse Assistant Training
This nine week or eighteen week course prepares students to be eligible to take the state competency test. Students must meet all of the following requirements as required by the California State Department of Public Health:
- Be 18 years old.
- Health Clearance: This includes a history and physical by a medical doctor (MD) and a TB skin test. If the skin test is positive, results of a chest x-ray signed by a radiologist (MD) are required.
- Criminal Clearance: Criminal clearance for conviction of a crime other than a minor traffic violation is required upon enrollment and prior to patient contact. Certification will not be issued until the individual has undergone a criminal records background check and has been cleared.
- English Language Proficiency: Passage of the CASAS reading test with an 8th grade level or higher.
- Pregnancy: If a student is pregnant, she must obtain a doctor’s clearance to attend class.
- Course of Study: The state of California regulates the hours required for this course. The theory of fifty (50) hours and the clinical instruction of one hundred (100) hours are provided by nursing instructors.
Credit for this course is accepted by local vocational nursing (LVN) programs.