Meet Your Library Staff
Librarian - Ms. Valuet Library Clerk - Ms. Zarate
The library is open Monday-Thursday from 7:00am-7:00pm, and on Friday, from 7:00am-3:30pm. The librarian is available from 7:45am-2:50pm. The library clerk is available 7:00am-3:30pm. There are teachers/ tutors available Monday-Thursday from 3:00pm-7:00pm.
Ms. Valuet has been the librarian at EMHS since 2007. She received her B.A. degree in English from Whittier College, as well as a M.A. degree in Education. She holds a valid State of California Single Subject Teaching Credential in English, and also a valid Teacher Librarian Credential for the State of California. Her main goals as a young adult librarian are to select high interest and high quality reading and research materials to support students' literacy, promote a love of reading, and also supplement the educational pursuit of knowledge.
Ms. Zarate has been the Library Clerk since 2006. She has had numerous experiences serving in various clerical positions throughout the district, and is dedicated to carrying out the daily operations of the library including the facillitation of book processing, book circulation, and assisting patrons with research and book selection.
Policies, Expectations, and Procedures
1. All students must sign in upon entering the Library by scanning their student ID barcode at the station by the front door.
2. No food or gum is allowed in the Library. Drinks, such as water, are permitted, but NOT at the computers.
3. Cell phones must be on silent mode when students are using the Library on their own time. Cell phones are NOT permitted during class time, unless students are completing an assignment that requires the use of a cell phone (i.e.: taking pictures for a scavenger hunt, etc.).
4. You MUST have your Student ID to check out a Library book.
5. You may check out three books at a time, but only ONE of the three can be a Fiction book. So, you can check out up to 1 Fiction and 2 Nonfiction or 3 Nonfiction books.
6. You may check out a book or set of books for a period of TWO WEEKS. On or before the due date, you can renew the book(s) once to extend the due date for another two weeks (total of four weeks). You must come in person to renew if you need more time with the book(s). If you return a book late, there is a fine of ten cents per day for every day that it is late, up to $5.00. If you lose or damage a Library book, you will be charged the replacement cost. All fines and fees must be paid at the Student Store.
7. Our EXPECTATIONS for your behavior in the Library are that you: (A) Be Respectful, (B) Be Professional, (C) Be a Problem-Solver, and (D) Always Try. Further explanations of these expectations are on a poster in the Library.
Our mission is to provide teachers and students with the resources needed to complete scholastic assignments and projects required for the educational programs offered at EMHS. We also seek to provide materials for recreational reading and personal intellectual development. Please feel free to ask for help at any time when visiting the library. We are happy to serve you!